VCAS Platform and Architecture
The Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) provides the tools and support digital TV operators require in order to address the new opportunities arising from the accelerating convergence of video delivery over various types of networks - whether managed or unmanaged - to a multitude of devices. This convergence must encompass a proactive revenue protection and enhancement approach that enables service operators to cast a much wider net with their service offerings. As a consequence, the central value proposition for the pay-TV enterprise shifts beyond that of traditional, single network content protection alone, towards the broader perspective of multi-network revenue security. Verimatrix helps operators turn these challenges into opportunities for growth by:
- Extending the operator brand and subscriber relationship beyond the living room screen.
- Addressing the competitive impact and opportunities of Internet TV/OTT and mobile video.
- Providing personalized choices and viewing models across growing number of devices.
- Enabling service delivery and content monetization spanning multiple networks and geographies.
- Assuring subscriber loyalty, enhanced average revenue per user (ARPU), and new revenue streams via self-management services, innovative online applications, targeted advertising, etc.
VCAS – Deployment Versatility and Opportunities
VCAS is the realization of the Verimatrix 3-dimensional digital-TV security strategy, which extends beyond the legacy conditional access (CA) approach in order to protect pay-TV services delivered to any screen over any network while combating any threat. VCAS enables a number of network specific solutions built on a common platform with modular extensions per market segment. It implements a single security authority for multiple networks and devices, supporting various video and digital rights management (DRM) formats while providing a harmonized cross-network entitlement management, for these market segments:
- VCAS for IPTV, securing managed networks, DVB-IP hybrid networks and receivers, IP Cable, further enhanced by secure Wholesale/Retail content distribution, and a Hospitality-optimized version.
- VCAS for Internet TV, proving enhanced HTTP Live Streaming for over-the-top (OTT) services.
- VCAS for DVB, securing “one-way” broadcast networks.
- Verimatrix MultiRights (multi-DRM support), currently Microsoft PlayReady and Marlin DRMs.
- VideoMark™ and StreamMark® user-specific forensic video watermarking.
VCAS System Architecture:
VCAS is ideally suited for operators engaged in or planning:
- “Walled garden” IPTV and DVB over managed networks: telco, satellite, cable, terrestrial.
- Hybrid services, extending linear DVB or IPTV services with IP-based on-demand services and v.v.
- Internet TV, OTT and mobile services implementing adaptive rate streaming protocols such as HLS, Smooth Streaming and MPEG-DASH.
- Wholesale-retail content distribution: a centralized, hosted service with local control options.
- Harmonized rights management across heterogeneous networks and devices.
- Legacy CA system replacement with cardless security for all types of networks and devices.
Thanks to a vast Verimatrix partner ecosystem, operators can choose from a wide variety of pre-integrated components, such as middleware/subscriber management systems (SMS) and video-on-demand (VOD) servers, and hundreds of receiver models, including DVB, IPTV and hybrid set-top boxes, Windows and Mac OS computing platforms, iOS and Android smart phones and tablets, smart TVs, and gaming consoles.