VCAS for DVB-Hybrid and One-Way
The multi-network VCAS platform allows digital TV operators to combine a standards-based and proven Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) solution for broadcast networks, with OTT delivery to hybrid receivers and off-the-shelf CE devices, all enabled from a single security authority.
Verimatrix offers a cost-effective content and revenue security approach that is ideal for:
- Cardless security in client devices with secure System-on-a-Chip (SOC) facilities
- DVB-Hybrid services, including OTT delivery to tablets and smart phones
- Greenfield deployments, whether B2C or B2B, and analog to digital transitions
- Operators wishing to complement or replace aging DVB CA systems
VCAS for DVB
|Ask a question or|
request a meeting
Early incarnations of hybrid architectures were realized by combining DVB and managed IP networks. There is now a shift towards combinations of DVB and OTT delivery, fueled by the broad adoption of adaptive bitrate streaming protocols, thereby enabling an efficient service upgrade strategy for DVB operators:
- Advanced pay-TV functionality provides unlimited flexibility in defining services
- Linear content DVB services
- Zapper and advanced DVB-Hybrid STB clients featuring ViewRight ONE
- Linear and on-demand OTT services using adaptive bitrate streaming
- Broadest range of CE device support through ViewRight Web clients
DVB-Hybrid Architecture: Broadcasting Augmented with OTT Services
In the diagram above, VCAS provides cross-network domain-based rights management: when a subscriber's domain (as opposed to a single device) is entitled to specific content, all the devices of the domain are entitled automatically, enabling a frictionless user experience.
DVB Architecture - One-way Broadcast Networks
VCAS for DVB also secures satellite, cable and terrestrial broadcasting services in one-way broadcast networks that do not have a return path from the STB to the head-end. Key features:
- Choice of cardless and card-based security
- Flexibility to match subscriber revenue potential with suitable STB technology
- Self-provisioning options, including pre-paid vouchers, can reduce cost of call centers
- Middleware-independent DVB SI Server for STB electronic program guide
- On-screen messages and chat rooms, push VOD, parental control, client STB pairing
- Fingerprinting and watermarking
- Very efficient form factor: Cryptographic operations for up to 1M STBs in only 2RU
DVB One-Way Architecture: Broadcast Networks with no STB Return Path
Future-Proofing the Platform
As the pay-TV industry is undergoing rapid changes, Verimatrix is focused on providing future proof – investment proof – solutions. VCAS for DVB is part of the multi-network VCAS platform that addresses, among else, the following aspects:
- Extension to video delivery over IP, either as IPTV or OTT, and hybrid combinations
- Video watermarking, a requirement for licensing of content in the early release window, and for Ultra HD/4K video services. Verimatrix VideoMark enables watermarking at the STB level. Since content re-distribution is now the main form of piracy, watermarking should be considered from the outset.
- SOC hardening, increased security and countermeasures in cardless solutions. Verimatrix chipset partners feature enhanced security technology, utilized by the ViewRight STB client when operators choose the latest SOCs.