ViewRight STB for DVB
Multi-Level Content Security for DVB Set-top Boxes
Verimatrix ViewRight STB for DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting) is a robust package of portable embedded code that implements the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) for DVB security functions within each set-top box (STB) in a pay-TV system. The ViewRight STB code has been designed to require only a minimum of resources from the STB hardware and run-time environment and use a standardized set of simple interfaces to any STB control software and/or middleware.
In contrast to the legacy approach with its singular focus on hardware-based security, Verimatrix offers multi-level client security to match STB technology and cost with ARPU (Average Revenue per User) potential:
- Software clients for lower ARPU, one-way broadcast segments.
- Cardless system-on-chip (SoC) clients for hardware-level security without card logistics.
- Smart card-based security for operators preferring removable security, including a DVB-CI (Common Interface) module.
The software-based client offers best-of-breed content and revenue protection in a hardened implementation that incorporates signing, multiple levels of integrity checking, obfuscation and other advanced security features such as control word and card sharing protection mechanisms.
The next-generation cardless client fully exploits the security technology of modern STB microcontrollers, which among else offer protected memory for secure code execution, and encrypted data paths securing the video pipeline. Beyond tight ViewRight client code integration, it features a highly secure bootstrap, self-integrity checking and a multi-stage key ladder, securing Control Words and other key material without external hardware. Microcontroller integrity and security is guaranteed through a robust manufacturing and programming workflow, ensuring secret information protection through preparation and deployment.
The smart card implementation utilizes a state-of-the-art chip together with an advanced client design incorporating passive, active and adaptive security features. This makes the client an elusive and moving target for potential hackers.
STBs equipped with software-based or cardless secure SOC clients can be field modified to use smart card based security, if equipped with a card reader, by simply inserting the card.
- Basics: EMM, ECM, OSD Messaging, (I)PPV, VOD (non-IP based)
- STB chipsets: ST, Broadcom, Fujitsu, Ali, NEC, Trident, Sigma, etc.
- Smart card chip: NXP (military grade)
- DVB-CI Module: Available from preferred vendor, others available after integration
- STBs: Variety of DVB-C/S/S2/T/T2, ISDB-T and MMDS pre-integrated models, some ready for hybrid upgrade to IP networks
- Memory footprint, SW-based client: 500-750KB (depends on platform and security level)
- Supported scrambling algorithms: DVB-CSA; also AES if supported by STB and head-end MUX
- Broadcast support: MPEG-2 Multi-Program Transport Streams (MPTS)