Power to the Operator
As the progression toward all IP continues, pay-tv operators are able to leverage the “software empowered video operator model” to gain a unique advantage in their abilities to respond to new standards and meet changing dynamics. In the latest issue of CSI Magazine, I laid out the five core revenue security considerations to help operators create significant differentiation from their competitors and achieve market longevity. These include:
- Revenue Security as the Common Thread – Security has become one of the fundamental decisions when designing next generation delivery systems, extending beyond basic defensive necessities and becoming a business model enabler for enhanced quality of experience.
- The Importance of a Partner Ecosystem – Rather than independently providing all components of an infrastructure, operators are able to gain greater benefits when they strategically align with progressive video technology providers to provide a wider range of benefits.
- Optimizing Revenue Security – Legacy smartcard-based CA systems are becoming obsolete, opening up new opportunities for more comprehensive revenue security strategies that include enhanced approaches to right revocation and client renewability.
- The Power of Virtualization – By taking a cloud-based approach, operators no longer need delivery systems components to all be deployed in physical head end data centers, resulting in shorter deployment times and creating a more scalable system.
- Leveraging the Ecosystem for an Expanded Value Proposition – Operators like the Sweden-based Com Hem are creating a more compelling value proposition for their subscribers while increasing security and operational securities by adopting a broader use of software-centric infrastructures and all related components.
Read the full “Power to the Operator” article in latest issue of CSI Magazine. I explore each of the above considerations in greater depth in order to help operators propel beyond the current limitations of their physical resources and become the pay-TV operator of tomorrow.
And as always, we would welcome your feedback and input – please feel free to drop us a line!