ViewRight STB for IPTV
Software-based Content Security for IP Set-top Boxes
The Verimatrix ViewRight STB for IPTV client is a robust package of portable embedded code that implements the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) for IPTV security functions within each IP set-top box (STB) in a pay-TV system. The ViewRight STB code has been designed to require only a minimum of resources from the STB hardware and run-time environment and use a standardized set of simple interfaces to the middleware also running on the STB.
A software-based security solution for two-way networks, ViewRight STB operates without the need for smart cards. It offers best-of-breed content security and revenue protection in a hardened implementation that incorporates signing, multiple levels of integrity checking, debugger detection, key obfuscation and intrinsic renewability.
ViewRight STB is integrated and operational on a wide variety of commercial STB hardware and software combinations. In Digital Video Broadcast (DVB)-IP hybrid mode it is used with various types of DVB front-ends (DVB-C, DVB-S and/or DVB-T) in combination with IP, without smart cards.
Integrated DVR Features
ViewRight STB incorporates a seamless approach for digital video recorder (DVR) functionality within pay-TV deployments, using local hard disk storage or a network DVR (nDVR) approach within the pay-TV head-end. ViewRight DVR functions enhance the security perimeter of the pay-TV system since VCAS is architected to directly enable recording and replay of broadcast streams without translation or re-encryption. By leverage of key management in the VCAS Content Security Manager (CSM), DVR and nDVR functions are supported in a flexible and cost-effective manner. VCAS and ViewRight STB enable implementation of any possible business rule and content management scheme while satisfying all DVR content security requirements.
- Platform OS: Linux, Nucleus, OS21, VxWorks, Windows CE, etc.
- Chipsets: Intel, Broadcom, Trident, Sigma, ST, TI, etc.
- Secure features use: Exploits available SOC secure resources and functions
- STBs: Integrated into around 200 models (July 2010)
- Memory footprint: Approx. 500KB code, plus SSL support if not present
- Content encryption: 128-bit AES; DVB-CSA if supported by STB
- Hardware decryption: Built-in support for on-chip hardware descramblers
- Broadcast support: Single Program and Multi Program MPEG-2 Transport Streams, including IP multicast support
- VOD support: MPEG-2 Transport Stream with “trick play” support
- Clone detection: Various patent pending technologies
- Middleware support: Wide choice of pre-integrated middleware products
- VCAS 3 support: Compliant with all new features offered by VCAS 3 while also backwards compatible with previous VCAS versions