MultiRights for Marlin DRM
VCAS Enabled Open Standards Security for IP-based Digital TV Services
Verimatrix MultiRights for Marlin DRM represents an important set of components within the Verimatrix architecture that enables the use of standards-based DRM clients, integrated either by Verimatrix or third-parties, supported by an overall operator security authority. Marlin is a consortium developed Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme for multimedia content that offers a richly featured, state-of-the-art environment from which to build secure distribution networks. The Marlin specifications were developed by the Marlin Developer Community (MDC), which was created in 2005 by Intertrust, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, and Sony.
This heritage and positioning has thrust Marlin into the forefront of a number of global standards initiatives in addition to commercial product offerings. The Open IPTV Forum (OIPF) has adopted Marlin Broadband (Marlin BB) as the fundamental content protection mechanism within its Release 1 and Release 2 sets of end to end specifications, which enable multi-vendor interoperability in managed and unmanaged video delivery services. The Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE), better known to consumers under its service brand UltraViolet, has also adopted Marlin as one of the principal DRM schemes supporting multi-retailer electronic sell through of HD, SD and mobile media products. The OIPF and UltraViolet have the support of the major CE vendors and content producers in their efforts.
Marlin is particularly well suited for multi-screen services as it is not limited to specific client device types. Moreover, because it has been developed through a partnership of CE vendors and digital rights technologists, is available in source form for commercial licensing, and is supported by an independent trust management infrastructure, Marlin promises to enable a rich ecosystem of client devices and services from multiple sources.
Verimatrix MultiRights for Marlin Benefits
The multi-network VCAS platform provides a solid architectural basis within which to introduce a standard-centric set of DRM components that are complementary to the VCAS for IPTV approach. In particular, Marlin technology offers the promise of:
- Rich expression of media distribution business rules and subscriber-to-network relationships, enabling imaginative services and value propositions.
- Support for independently developed retail client products in commercial IPTV and Hybrid deployments, including TVs and game consoles, in contrast to the highly specific STB integrations that typically are subsidized by the network operators today.
- Support for client devices that can be authenticated to multiple digital TV services, independently offered through broadband delivery infrastructure.
- Transparent sharing of content within a subscriber’s authorized domain among devices that include STBs, game consoles, connected TVs, personal computers and portable devices.
- Sophisticated support for offline or un-tethered media playback on a range of devices associated with a subscriber’s account.
- Platform OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 64-bit
- Database: Oracle (10g R2 Enterprise Edition)
- Digital certificates: X.509 compliant, 1024-bit and larger PKI signature hierarchy
- GUI: Fully secured VCAS administrative functions with audit path
- Monitoring and logging: Comprehensive and secure
- Implementation: Single machine or distributed load balanced cluster
- Scalability: From trial system to multi-million subscriber networks
- Video encoding: MPEG-2, MPEG-4/H.264
- Video encapsulation: SPTS MPEG-2 Transport Stream for linear delivery and on-demand support, supplemented by ISO 13818 part 10 MP4 on-demand file support with PIFF/Ultraviolet branding constraints
- Content encryption: 128-bit AES CBC
- Network management: SNMP v1, v2c, v3
- VOD content ingestion: Manual or automated with flexible workflow
- Streamer/mux interface: DVB Simulcrypt (ETSI TS 103 197 1.5.1, ECMG)
- Head-end integration: Secure SOAP based services
- Client flexibility: Wide range of broadcast and hybrid STB, DVR, and PC platforms