Content Security Manager
The Core of Verimatrix VCAS for IPTV
The Verimatrix Content Security Manager (CSM) is the core component of the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) for IPTV. CSM enables and supports all features and options within a VCAS secured pay-TV system, including broadcast/multicast only, video-on-demand (VOD) only, or hybrid broadcast and IP network deployments with secure, real-time key distribution for the full spectrum of content services.
Verimatrix offers a layered security solution for pay-TV operators using a combination of strong encryption together with key management tried and trusted in e-commerce applications; user specific forensic watermarking of decompressed video streams with a unique, robust identifier that is traceable to the place and time of viewing; and technologies that can detect and alert the operator to suspicion of cloning in the client population, in order to prevent theft of service.
CSM acts as the root Certificate Authority in a PKI hierarchy. It uses X.509 certificates to validate and authorize all content protection communication within the pay-TV network, including messaging between VCAS sub-system components as well as between the head-end system and authenticated subscriber receivers.
CSM is also equipped to support deployment of advanced interactive pay-TV features, such as digital video recorders (DVRs) and network DVRs (nDVR), in conjunction with third-party head-end components.
Implementations of CSM can be cost-effectively scaled to meet any size of operator deployment by distributing system components across clusters of servers and database engines, using load balancing and fail-over support for each mission critical component. This flexibility enables VCAS to support a broad variety of deployment architectures and operator requirements, ranging from small deployments in e.g. hospitality applications, to million-subscriber deployments for Tier 1 pay-TV operators.
- Platform OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3
- Database: Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition
- Sub-system interfaces: Authenticated via PKI and X.509 digital certificates
- GUI: Flexible Java-based secure administrative functions via OMI component
- Event logging: Comprehensive and secure
- Implementation: Single machine or distributed load balanced cluster
- Head-end Integration: Open, SOAP-based API via OMI for rapid integration
- Network Management: SNMP v1, v2c, v3
- Clone detection: Revenue protection through monitoring techniques and reporting
- Scalability: From trial system to millions of subscribers