High-end Broadcast Security and Functionality
The Verimatrix Broadcast Content Security Manager (BCSM) is the core component of the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System for Digital Video Broadcasting, VCAS™ for DVB. BCSM enables advanced pay-TV business models within VCAS secured one-way networks, including impulse pay-per-view (IPPV) tokens. It provides each operator with virtually unlimited flexibility to define products and services. BCSM manages authentication, key distribution and user control. It also includes an entitlement control message (ECM) generator, implementing DVB Simulcrypt with DVB multiplexers, which enables MPEG-compliant Multi-Program Transport Stream (MPTS) encryption. Furthermore, BCSM generates and plays out entitlement management messages (EMMs) based on information received from the SMS via the Verimatrix Operator Management Interface (OMI), or directly via the web-based GUI.
BCSM is the core component for operating VCAS-secured DVB services over satellite (DVB-S/S2), cable (DVB-C/C2) and terrestrial (DVB-T/T2) one-way networks, featuring:
BCSM works in conjunction with the Verimatrix EncryptionEngine, a dedicated hardware component that ensures operational network and physical security. This high-performance hardware device encapsulates all cryptographic operations to protect ciphers and control mechanisms, and the set of used keys. A single unit supports up to 1 million STBs. It comes with a Key Injector for arming. Keys are never transmitted or stored in the clear.
Its flexible entitlement management message (EMM) addressing mechanism minimizes bandwidth usage while offering complete control over all client devices. Due to the inherent architecture and efficient form factor, the system is already cost effective from the smallest deployment while scaling to tier one pay-TV operations with millions of subscribers.
- Platform OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3
- Database: Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition
- GUI: Flexible Java-based secure administrative functions via OMI component, or via web-based GUI
- Monitoring and logging: Comprehensive and secure
- Head-end interfaces: DVB Simulcrypt: ETSI TS 103 197, ECMG and EMMG (v2, v3)
- Content encryption: Performed by DVB Mux, using 64-bit DVB-CSA, or AES-128
- Capacity: Hundreds of channels per multiplexer, subject to Mux model and key mutation rate
- DVB Multiplexer compatibility: AppearTV, Arris, Harmonic, Cisco, Ericsson, RGB Networks, Thomson and others
- Form factor: 1 million STBs in 2RU (3.5"); 4RU if 1:1 redundant (BCSM + EncryptionEngine)
- SMS interface: Open SOAP-based API via OMI for rapid integration
- Scalability: From trial system to millions of subscribers